Service Learning Program Applications & Forms
“I truly believe these service-learning experiences have made me a more effective teacher and have provided students a voice and a chance to show how much of a difference they can make as a citizen, even at a young age.”
-Barry J. Guillot, NBCT | 8th Grade Earth Science, Harry Hurst Middle School
Teachers who would like to participate in the Service Learning Program must apply for an award.
The criteria to apply is as follows:
- Grades K-12 from schools in Louisiana and Mississippi are eligible.
- More than one teacher from the same school can apply for these non-competitive awards. Each teacher may submit more than one application.
- Money must be spent within the same school year received and only for the proposed service learning plan.
- Money must be used only in the state in which the school is located.
- Money must be used to support students and schools in their service to their community with the consensus of participating students.
Requirements and guidelines for the Service Learning Program are available here. Got questions? Contact the Service Learning Manager, Maria Landrum, at maria[at]stemlibrarylab.org or 504.517.3584, ext. 3.
We favor applications which:
- Are completed correctly and fully
- Are for a specific class
- Have a clear link between classroom objectives and the service learning plan
- Involve student decision-making
- Have a reasonable budget that clearly supports the service learning plan.
Applications for the 2023-2024 school year will be accepted between February 1, 2023 through May 5, 2023 and may be submitted via snail mail or electronically.
Online applications are strongly preferred, and we can help you submit if needed. You may also apply by mailing two copies of your application to:
STEM Library Lab
Service Learning Program
3011 N. I-10 Service Rd East
Metairie, LA 70002
- Updated form coming soon!
- 2023-2024 Application DRAFT
This document is a draft of the new application questions and forms; it is subject to change prior to Feb. 1, 2023. A completed application draft will not be accepted in lieu of the official application, which will be available February 1, 2023.
Forms for Award Recipients
Changes to Service Learning Project Scope
Any changes made to a Service Learning Award (i.e. – budget, service partner, or curriculum) must be approved BEFORE the changes are made. Use the form below to request approval of changes.
All 2022-2023 Service Learning Award recipients must complete an expenditure report that summarizes the service learning project and accounts for funds awarded and spent. The 2022-2023 Expenditure, Evaluation and Reflection Report is due by Friday May 5, 2023.
Principal’s Award Report
All 2022-2023 Principal’s Award Recipients must complete an award report that outlines how the funds were spent. The 2022-2023 Principal’s Award Reports are due Friday May 5, 2023.
Select Service Learning Award recipients must complete a mid-project report summarizing the project’s progress. The report is due before or on Friday December 8, 2022, unless otherwise stated.
WWII Museum Visit Forms
As a thank you for participating in the Service Learning Program, the Joe W. and Dorothy Dorsett Brown Foundation is offering free admission to your students and chaperones to the National World War II Museum. Please read the instructions carefully before completing the form.
If you’re excited to apply but need support writing the application deciding on a quality project, we’re here to help. Start by attending an upcoming workshop, or reviewing the resources below.
- Service Partners in Louisiana
- Service Partners in Mississippi
- Application Rubric
- Sample Applications
- Application Resources
Service Learning Workshops are offered regularly during Winter and Spring. The workshops are for teachers, counselors, and administrators interested in applying for service learning awards to implement service-learning programs in their schools. Workshops are virtual and conducted via Zoom and registration is required to receive the Zoom meeting link.
If you would like to schedule a service learning PD session for your faculty and staff, please contact Maria at maria[at]stemlibrarylab.org or 504-517.3584, ext 3.
Theme and Logo Art Contest
STEM Library Lab will continue to host The Brown Foundation’s annual art contest. We will select a new theme and logo from artwork created by K-11 service learning students.
- Limit 1 entry per person.
- All entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
- Entries may be submitted online or via mail. For online entries, upload a completed entry form and an image of the art entry. Participants may enter online using the submit form button below. Participants who enter online must keep their original artwork. However, finalists who entered online will be required to send in the original entry. Entries mailed or delivered in-person must be the original art; we will not accept photocopies. Mail the entry and entry form to: STEM Library Lab, 3011 N. I-10 Service Rd East, Metairie, LA 70002. Also, entries will not be returned.
- All entries must be the entrant’s original work. If any element of an entrant’s entry infringes upon the rights of another person, the entry will be disqualified from the contest.
- All artwork is to be designed by service learning students. Students in grades K-11 may create a word theme and draw a picture (logo) to accompany the words.
- The theme should represent what service learning means to its participant. Artwork must include “The Brown Foundation” and “Service Learning”.
- The artwork must have a border (can be part of a design or in color) with at least a half inch margin outside of the border.
- The artwork must be on an unlined 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of paper. Collages, computer-generated artwork, photography, or photocopies will not be accepted. Please use art materials with vibrant, intense colors that produce a saturated composition. Pencil and light crayons do not reproduce well. The artwork will be photocopied and scanned.
- By entering the contest, participants grant permission for their artwork, name, and photo to be featured on the STEM Library Lab website, social media, and printed materials for promotional purposes.
- Entries must be RECEIVED by Friday, November 18, 2022. Please allow adequate time for delivery, which may take 1-2 weeks. No entries will be accepted after November 18, 2022.
- First-, second-, and third-place winners from previous years are eligible to enter the contest again after one year has passed.
Open submission date: September 14, 2022
Entry Close date: November 18, 2022
Result date: February 1, 2023
If you have questions, please email Maria Landrum at maria[at]stemlibrarylab.org or call 504-517-3584.
Previous Art Contest Winners
Service Learning Event
The Joe W. and Dorothy Dorsett Brown Foundation sponsors a Service Learning Kickoff Event every September, and representatives from schools receiving a service learning award are presented with award checks. Past award recipients showcase their service learning projects and service partner organizations, such as the National WWII Museum, Fast Food Farm, and the Nature Conservancy, offer hands-on activities and educational service opportunities for youth.
If you are interested in the Service Learning Program, but need more information, please email Maria Landrum at maria[at]stemlibrarylab.org or call 504-517-3584.
Annual Art Contest
The Brown Foundation Service Learning Program sponsors an annual Service Learning art contest for students in grades K-11. The 2022 Theme and Logo Contest winner is Emma Palermo, a student at Mount Carmel Academy in New Orleans!